Teaching has been one of the most pleasant surprises of my PhD so far. I have had the great privilege to help out with a number of interesting courses on some of my favourite topics, and have learned so much from the students in these classes. My outlook on teaching is still taking shape, but right now three of my main interests include coaching students through the technical writing process, active learning with students in fieldwork settings, and supporting international students.
- Coastal Dynamics I, MSc course, 2019, 2020, 2021
- Lecturer on Tidal Inlets & Basin Morphodynamics
- Co-responsible for online education and exam during COVID crisis in 2020
- Primary Instructor: Judith Bosboom
- Coastal Oceanography and Delta Geology, Wageningen University & Research, MSc course, 2020, 2021.
- Led students on guided field trip to beach nourishment and engaged them in inquiry about coastal processes.
- Main Instructors: Ton Hoitink/Jakob Wallinga/Bart Makaske
- Coastal Dynamics I, TU Delft, MSc course, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020
- Ran weekly tutorial sessions, gave seminars on longshore sediment transport, developed and graded final exam questions, coordinated logistics for online learning environment (Brightspace & MapleTA) and final exam
- Primary Instructor: Judith Bosboom
- Fieldwork in Hydraulic Engineering, TU Delft, MSc course, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020
- Helped to plan field trip to sand nourishment/beach, supervised field measurements, and mentored students through data processing and reporting
- Primary Instructor: Matthieu de Schipper
- Sediment Dynamics, TU Delft, MSc course, 2017, 2018
- Supported field trips to mudflats of Eastern and Western Scheldt as a teaching assistant
- Primary Instructor: Bram van Prooijen
MSc Thesis (Co-)Supervision
I served on the thesis assessment committees of these students in a formal capacity (along with faculty members and industrial partners) and was responsible for regular supervision, mentoring, and assessment. The theses generally supported my main research interests in coastal sediment transport pathways, tidal inlet dynamics, and flood hazards on coral reef-lined coasts and small islands. Working with these students has also been one of the most enjoyable parts of my PhD!
- Lars Krikke. Impact of the Eastern Scheldt Storm Surge Barrier on sediment transport pathways. Nov 2021 – Present. In cooperation with Deltares and Rijkswaterstaat.
- Carlijn Meijers. Sediment transport pathways in Burrard Inlet. Mar 2021 – Dec 2021. In cooperation with Deltares, Kerr Wood Leidel, and Tsleil Watuth Nation. [Link].
- Denzel Harlequin. Morphodynamic Modelling of the Ameland Ebb-Tidal Delta. Sep 2020 – Nov 2021. In cooperation with Deltares and Rijkswaterstaat. Chair: Bram van Prooijen. [Link].
- Charlotte Uphues. Observations of Coastal Aeolian Sediment Transport in an Active Surface Layer using Tracers. Feb – Oct 2021. In cooperation with Flinders University. Chair: Sierd de Vries. [Link].
- Paula Lambregts. Sediment bypassing at Ameland inlet and the role of an ebb-tidal delta nourishment. Sep 2020 – Jun 2021. In cooperation with Deltares and Rijkswaterstaat. Chair: Zheng Bing Wang. [Link].
- Jan van Gorsel. Pressure distribution due to slamming of breaking waves into lighthouses. Aug 2020 – May 2021. Chair: Alessandro Antonini. [Link]
- Vesna Bertoncelj. Efficient and accurate modeling of wave-driven flooding on coral reef-lined coasts: On the interpolation of parameterized boundary conditions. [Link, EGU Conference] Jun 2020 – May 2021. In cooperation with Deltares.
- Mayra Ithzel Zaldivar Piña. Sandbank stability at the mouth of a modified Haringvliet Estuary. [Link]. Feb 2020 – Oct 2020. In cooperation with Delta21.
- Paul van Wiechen. Wave dissipation on a fringing coral reef: an experimental study. [Link]. Dec 2019 – Aug 2020. In cooperation with Boskalis.
- Tije Bakker. Flood risk assessment for Majuro Atoll considering compound events and associated uncertainties. [Link]. Jul 2019 – Present. In cooperation with Deltares.
- Laurie van Gijzen. Sediment Transport Pathways in San Francisco Bay. [Link]. Apr 2019 – Mar 2020. In cooperation with Deltares.
- Camila Gaido. Infragravity wave transformation on fringing coral reefs. [Link, ICCE Conference]. Feb 2019 – Dec 2019.
- Hilary Richards. Flood hazard prediction for St. Martin. [Link]. Feb 2019 – Jul 2019. In cooperation with Deltares.
- Matteo Parodi. Investigating uncertainty in coastal flood risk analyses in Small Island Developing States – a case study: Sao Tome & Principe. [Thesis, Paper] Feb 2019 – Jul 2019. In cooperation with the Deltares.
- Fred Scott. Data reduction techniques of coral reef morphology and hydrodynamics for use in wave runup prediction. [Thesis, Paper]. Feb 2019 – Jul 2019. In cooperation with Deltares and the US Geological Survey.
- Floortje Roelvink. Coral Restoration for Coastal Hazard Risk Reduction: The effect of coral restoration on wave transformation over various reef morphologies and the resulting runup. [Link, Paper] . Sep 2018 – Jul 2019. In cooperation with Deltares and the US Geological Survey.
- Timo Veldt. The effect of wave directional spread on coastal hazards at coastlines fronted by a coral reef [Link]. Jul 2018 – Jun 2019. In cooperation with Deltares.
- Rens Harteveld. Marine erosion of the Point Grey cliffs [Link]. Jul 2018 – Jun 2019. In cooperation with Boskalis and the University of British Columbia.
- Roy van Weerdenburg. Jun 2018 – Jan 2019. Exploring the relative importance of wind for exchange processes around a tidal inlet system [Link].
- Michelle Gostic. Sediment Transport Pathways in San Francisco Bay [Link]. Feb 2018 – Jul 2018. In cooperation with Deltares.
- Albert Monclús Abadal. Assessment of Climate Change Impacts in Sandy Nearshore Inlet Systems [Link]. Feb 2018 – Jul 2018.
- Jochem Dekkers. Experimental Study on Undular Bore Development Over a Fringing Reef [Link]. Oct 2016 – Jul 2018.
- Jasper Bak. Nourishment strategies for the Ameland Inlet. [Link]. Mar – Oct 2017. In cooperation with Deltares, Boskalis, and Rijkswaterstaat.
- Hithaishi Hewageegana. Wave Transformation Through Mangrove Coasts: A Model Study with XBeach-Surfbeat. [Link]. Feb – Jul 2017. In cooperation with Deltares.
MSc Consultancy Project (Co-)Supervision
At TU Delft, MSc students have the opportunity to pursue a multidisciplinary consultancy project with an external company, often abroad [Link].
- Bart Scheurwater, Jasper Scheijmans, Jim Tukker, Mizzi van der Ven, & Nicole Hartman. Nature based alternatives regarding coastal and environmental climate change hazards for the Tsleil-Waututh Nation. [Link]. Jan – Apr 2020. In cooperation with Kerr Wood Leidel (KWL) and Tsleil-Waututh Nation.
- Irene Cantoni, Camila Gaido, Tessa Jonker, & Laurie van Gijzen. Cliff Erosion at Point Grey, UBC. [Link]. Nov 2018 – Mar 2019. In cooperation with Kerr Wood Leidel (KWL) and the University of British Columbia.
- Tjerk Veenman, Rens Janmaat, Godert van Rhede, Floris Boersma, & Daan van der Ven. Erosion on Isle of Palms due to shoal bypassing. [Link]. Sept 2018 – Feb 2019. In cooperation with Tim Kana at Coastal Science & Engineering.
BSc Thesis (Co-)Supervision
- Rieneke van Noort. Variations in Suspended Sediment Grain Size at Ameland Inlet. Apr – Jun 2018.